St. George the Victorious
The Pomorie monastery, named after St. Georgi the Victorious, is located in the seaside town of Pomorie, some 20km to the north of Bourgas.
Similarly to other seaside towns, Christianity appeared early in Pomorie (named Anhialo at that time), with information on Christian monks staying in the town already in the III-IV century AC. The Pomorie monastery was established by Greek settlers in the 7th century but was later destroyed during the Ottoman invasion in the late 14th century. At the end of the 17th century, a Turkish administrator, Selim Bey, who according to a legend, was ill with an incurable disease, settled here and built his own feudal farm in the place of the former monastery. One night, Selim Bey dreamt that he found curative water in his yard. On the morning, he started searching for the place and found a marble bas-relief of St. George. Beneath it, the water of his dream sprang out and after he drank from it, he was cured. The legend further says that after that Selim Bey and his entire family converted to Christianity. The bas relief that he found in the yard is still kept and can be seen in the monastery. Selim Bey also built a small chapel close to the holy spring that laid the foundations of the present-day monastery. After he widowed, Selim Bey became the first father superior of the monastery, donating all his land properties to the monastery. The present-day church was built in 1856 over the foundations of the preceding one. The church preserves valuable examples of the iconographic art of the 18th and 19th century.
The monastery is very hospitable and offers accommodation following prior consultation with the father superior, Yerotey, who can be contacted by phone on (+359 59) 632017. Father Yerotey speaks English and German and is always glad to show the monastery’s guests around.
The monastery is easy to reach by car or by a regular bus from Bourgas.