The Batulia monastery “St. Nikolay the Miracle Worker” is situated in the Golema Planina ridge of the Western Balkan Mountain, at the right-hand bank of the Batulia River. It lies some 14km. to the southeast of the town of Svoge, 4km. to the east of the Rebrovo railway station and 1km. to the northeast of the village of Batulia.
Remains of a Roman fortress and Roman roads have been uncovered in the monastery's neighbourhood. The exact time of the monastery’s initial construction is not known, but it is believed that this happened during the Second Bulgarian State. Its restoration started at the beginning of the 20th century. A new residential building was erected in 1913. At present, the Batulia monastery consists of a church, two buildings and a beautiful stone fountain that was built with the help of donor funds in 1996-1997. The monastery is electrified and supplied with piped water. The church is a one-nave, one-apse building with an open-air narthex and no dome. A large vertical rock with an imposing metal cross on its top represents a natural boundary behind the monastery complex.
The monastery can accommodate a small group of people.
The monastery is reached by car or on foot from the village of Batulia, as it lies about 1km. away from the village. Even if there are no signs leading to the monastery, it is relatively easy to find the way. One needs to take the middle (stone-paved) road when he/she reaches a large white antifascist monument in the village and after a while turn left at the only bifurcation of the road. The road is dirty but in a good condition and easy to pass with any car.